Sunday 18 September 2016

Jo and Graeme

A few weeks ago I got a text from my friend Jo in the middle of a weekday asking if I could give her a call when I had a second because she had a question for me.  I've begun to realize in my relatively new doctor life that a text/call like that is typically professional in nature. After a few follow-up questions I also realized it wasn't about the happy obstetrical part of my job. This was not a text conversation but a cross-provincial lunch hour phone call.

My friend Graeme has lymphoma.  Over the next couple of days we would find out that it was mediastinal B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.  

Jo, Graeme, Keith and I have lived our lives in parallel and been friends for about 15 years. Keith and Jo actually went to the same high school so have known each other even longer.  I won't speak for Keith and his relationships with Jo and Graeme but I can tell you there have been countless goofy times with Jo ("JOOOOOANNE" to the tune of Roxanne) and endless conversations with Graeme about board games.  He also often comments on how amazing Jo and Graeme were when he got sick at their house.  They took care of our 2 very young kids, as he was solo-parenting that trip, while he slept off his Gravol.

Jo and I "matured" together in our 20s like fine wines that only seem to get better with age ;).  We have had all sorts of ridiculous antics that were captured on film that I am in no way about to post here.  We got married to our respective nerds about a year apart and became moms within months of each other.  Jo is my favourite "mom friend" because although we've made different choices in our lives I have always felt loved and respected for my choices and I hope she feels the same.  We've never compared our kids and have just loved and commiserated over their quirks and cuteness.  She sent me flowers when Cian wasn't gaining weight as a baby and kept my spirits up.  She is the kind of friend that will rent an orange car and drive out to Chilliwack to save you from a weekend spent in the Fraser Valley when it would be much better spent with friends in Vancouver.  Over the years she has shared her family with me (especially her older brother) and despite the many provinces between us when we see each other it's like we spoke just the other day.  She's the kind of friend that always has your back. She's the Spice in our Sugar and Spice and always will be.

Looking at old photographs this morning my relationship with Graeme has certainly matured over time as well.  I had completely forgotten about the "Graeme" T-shirt which is the T-shirt I made for Valentine's Day or Graeme's birthday (I honestly can't remember) when I sang "My Heart Belongs to Graeme" and then continued to wear for several months to come.  We eventually went on a "date" that got off to a rocky start when he announced at the entrance of the restaurant that he had no intention of dating me.  By the end of the evening he wished he could retract his earlier statement but the damage was irrevocable.  He also had mentioned that General Conference (GC) Mennonite girls were the "easy" kind.  Thank goodness he got better at dating by the time he started with Joanne.  I have countless memories of swing dancing with him or dancing around to Mambo No. 5.  When I think of Graeme I think of big grins and bear hugs and of course...boardgames. He's as solid a guy as the big brass bells he used to ring in UAMC. 

You share your life with more than just your partner and we have had the privilege of sharing our lives with this wonderful family.

They are such wonderful people and need support.  Not only does Graeme have lymphoma but on the same day he was diagnosed the company he worked for went out of business.  They are not the type of people who would ask for help - they are usually the people doing the helping.  If it's possible for you to spare a bit of a donation or if you are interested in some jewellery and want to support two good causes (the Jahnsi and ethical eco-friendly products) I would urge you to check out the links below.  



To Jo, Graeme, Arya and Gavin - we love all 4 of you very much.  You can do this and you have a huge cheerleading squad.  There is love pouring in from all over the country and from our little house in Winnipeg we'll have Mambo No. 5 on repeat, wine in the wine rack and boardgames on the counter awaiting our next visit with our dear friends.  We are holding the faith as we hold you in our hearts.




"Friends come and go like the waves of the ocean...but the true ones stay like an octopus on your face." 
-Unknown
  

No comments:

Post a Comment