Saturday 21 March 2015

My Happy Place

I have been on call for the last 4 weekends in a row and I was absolutely ready for a break.  We still have birthday parties and other commitments but there is nothing like sitting in the sunshine with a cup of coffee watching my children play.

I come from a long line of "Home is where the heart is".   As our kids get older we have talked about how to adapt our house to meet the changing needs of our family.  Every time I look at other houses I feel like I'm cheating on our house.  We've dug down the foundation and nestled our children's play space in that cocoon.  We've lovingly painted every wall and stained all of the wooden bones of this old place.  We've celebrated it's 100th birthday.  We have laughed and cried with friends over long dinners and board games.  We've tucked our friends and family into corners of our little house we've used as various guest "rooms".  My hand runs across the lower railing my dad created overnight with the sounds of the air nailer still present in my consciousness.  Our loved ones saddle up to the kitchen island for chats and a cup of coffee.  Our children took their first steps in that kitchen and continue to have their dance parties there.  Wherever I look there is heart and memory in this house.

So here we stay in our little house in Wolesley.  I plan the backdoor facelift that hopefully makes a few things more workable but for now I can't think of a place I would rather enjoy the sunshine than my own backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment