Monday 23 March 2015

Our Sincere Kid

One of the many great things about Cian (and sometimes one of the harder things to contain) is how excited he gets about things.  When I watch other kids his age who are shy or already don't want to seem uncool, Cian moves through the world in a constant state of "EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!"

On Saturday he was invited to his friend's pirate birthday.  He signed his card and wrapped his gift (Lego of course, what kid doesn't want Lego?)  and we told him that he had to wait until the big hand was at the 12.  Cian stood under our kitchen clock for 15 minutes holding his present for his friend in both hands patiently waiting for the clock to turn 1.  He had a blast that afternoon.

Today he went on his first school field trip.  They were taking buses to the Forks to go to the Children's Museum and then to the Manitoba Theatre for Young People presentation of Spot: the Dog.  Keith had read the instructions for parents the night before and made him a lunch (usually in half day kindergarten they only need a snack).  At 0715 Cian called me downstairs to show me his sandwich. "Dad made me a sandwich and it has a pickle and spicy cheese and meat!  I am going to put my lunch here on the top of my backpack."  There was almost 2 hours until school started.  He had dressed himself 40 minutes before he had to - he was ready.  Again, he had a great day (and is in such an awesome class as I think the record was set for number of adult volunteers on this field trip).

I love the reckless abandon in which he pursues life.  Extreme emotion has it's downside as everybody knows but we don't often talk about the good side.  About how amazing it is to be caught off guard by unexpected snowflakes on a Monday morning.  Or how great it is to have a friend come and visit.  Or to snuggle into bed after a long day.  You come from a long line of people who get excited about peanut butter kid.  It's something you'll have to manage at times but I hope you never, ever lose it.  I love seeing the world through those bespeckled sparkling eyes and infectious grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment