Saturday 23 April 2016

Em's First Dance Recital

Emily has been taking Irish dance since September every Monday night.  Keith took Irish dance as a kid and we thought it was a good way to connect her to her heritage and a nice introduction to dance since she likes music and dance so much.

St. Patrick's Day her dance school had the first show of the season.  She got her black bodysuit and shoes and green skirt and was ready for her performance.  I never did dance as a kid so this was a bit new for me but that didn't phase Emily at all as she was ready to PERFORM.

A couple days before her recital I started getting sick but after being in bed all day on the Friday I figured I was up for a couple hours of watching Irish dance.  It was a St. Patrick's day celebration after all.  Keith took her and Cian and I came later.  I then took Cian out to buy her some flowers because she wasn't due to perform yet.  She in fact was scheduled for 8pm (which was already past her bedtime) but they were on Irish time and didn't step on stage until 845pm.  I thought for sure there would be a meltdown but I (as usual) underestimated her.  She stepped on the stage and immediately went to centre stage, planted her one foot in front of her and put her hand up to her eye like a telescope to look for her family and then gave a big wave.  No fear with that kid.  I could hear the chuckles from the audience around me because she was very clearly the ham of the group.  She did all her moves with gusto.  (It's hard to see in the video but she is in the middle slightly behind the count).




After the performance they kept the kids backstage for an extended period of time changing back into their clothes.  We didn't get home until 10pm!  Cian said he wished he had brought his sleeping bag and I can't blame him.  It was so cute to see her up there but if that's what being a dance mom is like I'm not sure I'm up for it.  It's nice to see her enjoy part of her heritage and have a chance to be on stage but for now...onward to soccer season!

No comments:

Post a Comment