Saturday 23 April 2016

R.I.P. Prince

This week we lost an incredible musician and someone who's music has had a big impact on my life.

What I loved about Prince (and what a lot of people loved about him) is that he didn't seem to care what people thought.  He was 5'2'' and a lot of men would have been self conscious about that height but he seemed to transcend his physical form despite his physicality and his sexuality being such a big part of his musicality.

One of my favourite Ani diFranco songs is her duet with Prince called "Providence".  It was on endless repeat in University and even though Prince was such a huge star I always thought it was cool that he jammed with a folk artist on a song that you would only know he did if you were an Ani fan.

Providence - Ani and Prince

After University when I went to Malawi I was feeling a bit homesick and a bit visible as my 5'10'' blonde self and was in a local second-hand clothing store in Salima and found a raspberry-coloured beret.  Despite the 30+ degree heat I bought that beret and wore it around town (usually in slightly cooler weather) trying to channel my inner Prince-level personal strength.

Raspberry Beret - Prince

I can't imagine my high school or college years without "Kiss", "Cream" or "Gett Off".  His songs were so loved but often people didn't talk about their love for him or his music (maybe we all just assumed everyone loved him like the people on the train in the first video).  I appreciated his love of women and his unabashed love for feminine sexuality.  His songs were very sexual but in a way that celebrates women rather than reduces and objectifies them.  I appreciated how his collaboration and mentorship of other artists and if you haven't seen his influence check out the last video of Lenny Kravitz and Prince playing American Woman).

Kiss on the Train

Cream - Prince

When Doves Cry - Prince

Gett Off - Prince

1999 - Prince

American Woman - Lenny Kravitz and Prince

I wish we would have had him longer.  I wish I would have been able to see him live.  But mostly, I am so incredibly thankful that my formative years were shaped by his humble musical genius. Thank you Prince for helping me figure out who I am and for helping me find my courage.  I am one of the many people influenced by your brilliance.  Rest well.

No comments:

Post a Comment